Are you blogging for business? If so, did you see the movie “Julie & Julia”? Are you jealous of the success of Julie Powell’s blog? Are you trying to find THE idea which will make you famous like her?
If so, you’re not alone. I am convinced lots of people wish the same. But with millions of bloggers around the world, there are not so many of these stories. There are probably more stories of enthusiastic bloggers who end up abandoning their blog, disappointed by the lack of audience and impact!
So, why was SHE successful? After all, publishers tried to replicate the success of her book by signing book deals with other bloggers – without success -.
In my Opinion, Here are Some KEYS to her Success:
- Suspense: I truly believe suspense is the most important reason for her success. Is she going to succeed? Will she be able to make 524 recipes in 365 days?
- Definite time: 365 days. Millions of people write blogs, many write well, many are funny, however no one cannot read thousands of blogs every day! But can we keep up with the suspense of the “Julie/Julia Project” for 365 days only? Sure, we can! And that is part of the attractiveness of her blog, I believe.
- Popular topic: Do you have more cooking books at home than you need? Of course! We all do! Cooking is one of those fascinations in life. It is a passion for many. It is part of all our lives at a very emotional level. So there is no doubt that cooking can attract a large audience… and lots of blog readers!
- Power of ‘Julia Child’ brand: There is no doubt that Julie’s blog would not have been as popular if she had not chosen to imitate as famous a person as Julia Child. It made the challenge more fascinating, and she may even have gotten web traffic from people searching for Julia Child’s recipes or cooking books.
- Originality: Popularity is not enough, you need to be different! Lots of people write about food, but Julie’s blog WAS different. She was not discussing recipes or products. She was experimenting, testing every recipe from a famous cookbook writer – one day at a time!
- Connection: Can you relate to Julie? Does she have weaknesses like all of us? Failures? Breakdowns? Doubts? Imperfections? Of course! Does she cook perfectly? Is she a chef? Of course not! And the way we can relate so well to Julie is key to our interest in reading her blog.
- Visibility: Despite all this, Julie’s blog got seriously noticed only after it was featured in the New York Times. If you want your blog to be successful, sitting down and writing is not enough. Get out there and make it known! Be visible! It’s crucial.
- Writing skills: Julie is a writer. Many people probably would say that it is the reason for her success. I am sure it helped her. But I am convinced it is not enough. I am convinced many people write much better than she does!
- Perseverance: Don’t give up! Persevere in your endeavour. Overnight success doesn’t happen. Julie was successful because she stuck with it!
So, if you are thinking about blogging for business, as part of your online marketing activities, I hope this blog posting has given you some ideas of “places you can explore”.
Don’t hesitate to share with us your thoughts about Julie & Julia or about your own blogging’s experience.